Sunday, April 18, 2010

Friday at Home

I love Taste of Home but their recipes seldom fit into my Zone Diet menu.  This one is probably a stretch too but I was in the mood for a casserole and this seemed fairly close.  I also had some ham I needed to use up.  Same for the Cream of Mushroom soup- I was going to make my own (see the link) but, then, I realized I had one lone can in the pantry that was fast approaching too old.  So I used that instead.  But, NEXT time I am definitely going to try making my own.  I also typically don't use reduced fat products because we've found we usually don't like the taste of those products (or their prices!).  It seems like most 'reduced fat' items just throw in a bunch of sugar and chemicals to try to make it taste ok with the fat removed and who needs that??  Just give me the real thing and I'll take my chances!  Right.  Off my soapbox now.  Here's the recipe with my comments:

 Taste of Home Company Casserole 

Ingredients

  • 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
  • 4 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed and drained (I used fresh broccoli that I cut in small pieces then zapped in the microwave for 2 minutes.)
  • 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast (I used thighs)
  • 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
  • 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (regular cheddar)
  • 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted (substitute 'make your own' condensed cream of mushroom soup)
  • 2/3 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
  • 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise (regular mayonnaise)
  • 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

  • Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting the butter. In a 13-in. x 9-in baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer the rice, broccoli, chicken, ham, cheddar cheese and mushrooms.
  • In a small bowl, combine the soup, yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard and curry powder. Spread evenly over top of casserole; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
  • Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.


    *************
    Verdict:  Well, Bill and I both gave it an 'o.k.' but nothing to write home about.  Frankly, it was more time and work than it was worth.  I'm not quite sure what the problem was- maybe the yogurt?  I suspect the person who submitted this recipe just substituted plain yogurt for sour cream (which would probably be delicious) but the tang-iness of the yogurt seemed to overwhelm the other flavors.  Anyway, you win some, you lose some.  This will not be on my 'make again' list.


        

    No comments:

    Post a Comment