Saturday, March 27, 2010

Stir Fry Friday

Yesterday I had a RS party so Bill was on his own.  He chose to have his signature green salad with chicken.  You have to see it to believe it.  When he makes a salad, he makes a SALAD!  We're talking HUGE.  And he enjoys every minute of it.  :)  At our party they served all the fixin's for hoagies.  So, I was able to select some sandwich meat and then veggies from the veggie tray.  It was nice to be able to eat something at a social event again.  Its a little awkward to sit there with a glass of water and try not to become the center of the conversation.  "Why aren't you eating?"  "What kind of diet are you on??"  Etc. etc.  UGH
     Anyway, tonight I decided a stir fry would fit the bill.  We love stir fry chicken and veggies around here served with a little soy sauce.. YUM.  But, I decided it would be fun to try a new recipe.  So, I did some surfing and came up with this one from Whisk, a Food Blog that sounded pretty simple.  It turned out to be delicious as well!  (I realized as I was stirring in the the glaze mixture that corn starch was by definition, a starch.  Duh.  So, I kind of blew my no starch rule for this maintenance diet. Rats.  Is stupidity an excuse?)  Anyway, this is really good alone but, of course, it would taste even better with some Chinese noodles!  Bill and I both gave it 4 stars. I didn't follow the recipe exactly.. I think its an easy one to adapt to whatever you have on hand or like.  You can see the real recipe here:  Stir Fry 

My Slant on Stir Fry
                                                          
About 2 1/2 Tbs vegetable oil
3 chicken thighs, diced (about 1 1/2 cup cooked chicken)
Basically I used whatever veggies I had in the fridge.
1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
1 cup cauliflower, cut into flowerets
2 green onions, chopped
  1/2 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
2 cups chopped cabbage
handful of sliced almonds

For the Sauce: (I think I would cut this in half next time for the 2 of us)
½ cup water
¼ cup soy sauce
  1 tsp. ginger
  2 cloves garlic, minced

For the Glaze: (again, I would cut in half)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
¼ cup water

To Prepare and Eat Now:  Mix all sauce ingredients in a jar or bowl and set aside. Dissolve glaze ingredients and set aside.

Heat a wok over medium-high heat and then add the oil. When the oil is hot, sauté chicken until browned and cooked through, about 10-15 minutes. Add carrots and cook, about 3-5 minutes. Add cauliflower and cook, about 3-5 minutes.

Pour in the sauce ingredients and cook until cauliflower is tender but still firm. Add remaining vegetables and cook, about 3-5 minutes. Stir the glaze ingredients and pour it in. Stir until thick.  Toss in some sliced almonds for crunch.

To Freeze:
Undercook the vegetables so that when you re-heat them, they aren't overcooked. Recommended freezing time: 4-6 months.

To Prepare After Freezing:Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Heat and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds so good. YUM. I love stir fry. No picture? Can you come cook dinner at my house too? It woldn't be too much of a bother would it?

    ReplyDelete