Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hmmm... Just How Flexible IS This Recipe?

Well, tonight I started out to make one of my favorite recipes- Crustless Quiche Lorraine.  However, as I got into it, I realized I was going to have to make so many substitutions that I'm not sure it will even resemble the original recipe!  LOL  I think I will go ahead and post the original, because it really is a good one.  I'll put my substitutions in parentheses. Crossing my fingers it will turn out tasty as well! (It should be worth a chuckle anyway.) 
Crustless Quiche Lorraine
8 slices turkey bacon, cooked and chopped  [1 cup diced ham]
1 cup Swiss cheese- grated [1/2 cup Swiss & 1/2 cup cheddar]
1 medium onion, diced & sauted till translucent in 1 Tbsp olive oil.
2 Tbsp flour
4 eggs
1 cup milk [1 cup plain yogurt]
3/4 tsp salt [Natures Season Seasoning Blend- I didn't want to add salt- figured the ham would be salty enough]
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (don't leave out!)
handful of sliced almonds- slivered work too.

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-Lightly grease 9 inch pie plate.  In medium size bowl toss bacon, cheese, onion and flour together.  Spread in pie plate.
-Mix eggs, milk, salt & pepper together.  Pour over bacon/cheese in pie plate.  Sprinkle almonds on top.
-Bake uncovered 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.  Allow to sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
 Hey!  It turned out great! I really liked the tangy zip the yogurt added. The only change that I would suggest would be to saute the onions before baking.  They ended up a little too crunchy for me.  YUM

No comments:

Post a Comment