Its Sunday again and that means something simple around our house. I'm going to try another Taste of Home recipe which I am going to try to adapt to make it more 'Zone-ful' Basically, I'm just going to make it without the crust and serve it with some whole wheat bread. We have several crust-less quiche recipes that we enjoy so hopefully this will be added to the repertoire. In honor of it being a SWISS quiche I thought I would post a pix of the Swiss Alps Bill took at Scout Camp while we were in Germany. (Yes, those lucky boys got to go to Switzerland for their summer camp!) Ok.. everybody in the mood to yodel? Here is my adaptation- click on the title for a link to the original:
Spinach Swiss Quiche
- 1/2 cup chopped ham
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt, pepper and paprika
- handful sliced almonds
- sour cream
Directions* In a small skillet, cook the ham, onion and red pepper until vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in spinach.
* Spray pie pan with Pam. Put ham and spinach mixture in pie pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, Swiss cheese and seasonings; pour over spinach mixture.Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.
Verdict- This turned out to be about a 4 star. Bill really liked it but I thought it was a bit bland. I think next time I make it I will add a dash of cayenne pepper or hot sauce to give it a little kick. Might also add a little basil.. But, it is a great basic recipe. You could throw lots of different veggies in it for variation.. mushroom, broccoli, peas etc. Maybe change up the cheese as well.